Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cooking with the Heart Foundation


I recently took part in my first Soup marketing project, and boy was it fun! "Soup is Australia's first word of mouth marketing agency, and is for people who love having their say and want to be involved in shaping the future of brands and products". Does that sound like you? Well pop on over and become a Soup Mama too!

I was chosen to participate in the Heart Foundation project about saturated fats. The challenge was to cook some tasty treats using margarine instead of butter and see what my family and friends thought of the results. What a perfect excuse to have some friends over for morning tea!

Soup included a book of yummy recipes to try out, so Oscar and I have had a fabulous time cooking cakes, scones and quiches for our friends. As someone who has never cooked with margarine, I was surprised by how delicious the food was, and how well margarine replaced butter in some of my favourite recipes. I'd always thought margarine was highly processed and no good for you, turns out I was quite wrong. Some brands of margarine have less than 15% saturated fat, a mere drop of the 50% or more saturated fat found in butter!

An unexpected bonus of this project is I've been making a lot more of Oscar's snacks from scratch instead of relying on store bought fruit bars and rice cakes. Not only have our morning teas been delicious and healthy, we've been having so much fun cooking together. 

I thought I'd share with you one of Oscar's favourite recipes from the Heart Foundation project, I hope you enjoy baking and eating it as much as we do! 

Apple and Sultana cupcakes

Ingredients

2 medium green apples, peeled and grated
1 3/4 cups self raising flour
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
2 tsp ground cinammon
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup low fat milk
125 g salt reduced margarine spread, melted
1/2 cup sultanas
zest of one lemon

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake papers.

2. Beat margarine, sugar and eggs using an electric mixer on medium speed. Beat for about 5 minutes or until thick and creamy.

3. Add the grated apple, milk, sultanas and lemon zest. Beat on low until combined.

4. In a separate bowl sift together the self raising flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinammon. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat until thoroughly combined. Do not over-beat as this will toughen the mixture.

5. Spoon mixture into cupcake papers, filling each about three quarters full. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the trays immediately and cool on a wire rack.

6. Most importantly, ENJOY more then one!
 

4 comments:

  1. Oooh yum they look good.

    Thankfully mum has visited recently so I'm pretty sure she has stocked my spice drawer with cinammon and bicarb.

    I'm going to make these today for my afternoon picnic with my mother's group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Shall have to try these :O) Looking forward to following along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did your afternoon tea picnic go Kate? We visited Johanna in Bremer yesterday and I whipped up a carrot and sultana version, soooooo delicious!

    Welcome Caz, great to have you along xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummo. will have to try that recipe. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I love knowing that you stopped by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio